This is a required textbook for the two year formation program.
Soul Friendship: A Practical Theology of Spiritual Direction
by Adrian Chatfield (Author), Nigel Rooms (Author)
Spiritual direction is a burgeoning ministry in today's church where the emphasis is on joining in with what God is already doing in the world - an approach that presupposes spiritual discernment.
This guide explores spiritual direction from biblical and theological perspectives and aims both to inform teaching and equip practitioners with greater reflective skills. Written by two experienced teachers and practitioners, it includes:
- God and Spiritual Direction - divine presence and absence, discerning God, relationship and the Trinity, images of the Holy Spirit;
- Humanity and God - being made in the image of God, sin, addiction, desire, freedom, psychology in direction;
- The Bible and Spiritual Direction - scripture as a source and authority for direction; uses and abuses of the Bible in direction;
- Spiritual Direction across the Christian traditions;
- Spiritual Direction and the Church - boundaries, accountability and safeguarding.
Publisher : Canterbury Pr Norwich (Aug. 30 2019)
Language : English
Paperback : 256 pages
ISBN-10 : 178622156X
ISBN-13 : 978-1786221568
Item weight : 281 g
Dimensions : 13.97 x 1.27 x 21.59 cm
About the Authors
Adrian Chatfield is an experienced spiritual director and has taught Spirituality in the Cambridge Theological Federation. Now retired, he continues to mentor and teach those involved in pioneering expressions of Christian community.
Nigel Rooms is a spiritual director and a supervisor of spiritual direction. He is a missiologist and practical theologian and editor of the journal Practical Theology.